Thursday, January 31, 2008

Alternate Grinder Cleaning Method?

I woke up this morning with a pounding headache, feeling like crud and generally "out of it." I just can't be sick because we are taking Wyatt on his first trip to Disney World on Saturday and on top of everything else going on, today is our wedding anniversary; 12 years, and we recently agreed that we have stuffed at least 24 years into those 12 years.

Sometimes on weekends, or when I work from home, Camille will make coffee for me and put it on the nightstand so that I can wake up to the wonderful aroma. She was going to make coffee this morning because I wasn't feeling well and was getting ready to go to the doctor.

So I am looking in the mirror, shaving, and I notice my wife standing behind me with both hands grasping her hair and a strange look on her face; this was something new. She uttered, "You need to come quickly. I did something stupid and put water in your grinder.", then left. Being half-deaf, I knew I didn't hear her correctly, but she seemed sincerely distressed so I followed ...

The Mazzer Mini looked like one of those decorative water fountains; water was coming out of everywhere. smiley

I unplugged the grinder, grabbed a screwdriver, removed the hopper, flipped it over, said, "Well, it was due for a thorough cleaning. Let it drain. I'll look at when I get back from the doctor." Camille was just beside herself!

At the doctor's office waiting patiently, the doctor comes in and she promptly hands me $20. I am sure the expression on my face was as priceless as Camille's expression this morning. She reminded me that it was payment for coffee she hadn't paid for yet. Oh, cool!

Anyway, while I was gone, Camille had cleaned up and dried some of the pieces. Once back at home I completely disassembled the Mazzer and cleaned out the goo; what a mess! Put everything back together and the grinder is fine ... YES!

While the grinder is VERY CLEAN, I don't recommend this method. We're going to stick with the Minute Rice ...

Oh, and Camille is breathing again.

2 comments:

Scripture Zealot said...

That's a great story. I'm surprised I haven't done that myself.

One time my wife made coffee for herself before I got up in the morning. When I had my coffe it was extremely strong. I realized that in her rush to get to work she only ground half the beans that were in the hopper. I asked her if her coffee tasted weak that morning and she wondered how I knew.

Eddie said...

LOL! That is funny!