Friday, July 18, 2008

Sometimes, Being Ill Isn't So Bad

Last Friday I was home, lying on the sofa, practicing being ill; practice does indeed make perfect.

Camille and Wyatt had gone somewhere ... ahhhh, peace and delirium ...the doorbell rings, "son-a-ma- ... " Open the door ... its the pastor from next door ... "OH, HEY!" ("Hey" is southern for "So nice to see you!")"

Eddie, I know you really don't feel well, but I really want you to come somewhere with me. I think it will really lift your spirits." If you can't trust the pastor ...

We arrive at a coffee shop in the bustling downtown metropolis of Long Beach, MS that is not yet open for the day. It is in a building that at some time in the past was a bank.

I don't feel well, it's hot as hell ... what now, stale coffee that's just like mine? I follow and stumble along to an entrance toward the back and I am now in a busy beauty salon ... maybe this is just an out-of-body experience.

Eventually, I was led to the front, the café part. As we entered, my eyes became wide as saucers as a lucid moment came over me. There in the corner was a just-delivered, fully-restored, beautiful Royal No. 6 Coffee Roaster complete with cooling car and new U.S. Roaster controls. Absolutely beautiful! I had never seen one before, but since the pastor and the other gentleman were asking, I explained what everything was and how it worked.

Spirits lifted ...

No comments: